Diabetes is a chronic health condition that affects millions of Canadians. Managing diabetes can be challenging and requires ongoing medical care, medications, and lifestyle changes. For people with diabetes, obtaining life insurance can also be a challenge. In this article, we will explore life insurance options for Canadians living with diabetes, including how diabetes affects life insurance, what factors insurers consider when underwriting policies, and tips for finding the right life insurance policy.
How Diabetes Affects Life Insurance:
Diabetes can have a significant impact on an individual’s ability to obtain life insurance. Life insurers consider the severity of an individual’s diabetes, as well as any associated health issues, when underwriting life insurance policies. The severity of diabetes is typically measured using the A1C test, which measures average blood sugar levels over a three-month period. The higher the A1C, the more severe the diabetes.
Insurers also consider the individual’s medication regimen and adherence to treatment when underwriting life insurance policies. Some medications used to treat diabetes can have side effects, and not adhering to a treatment plan can result in complications and hospitalization.
What Factors Insurers Consider When Underwriting Life Insurance for People with Diabetes:
When underwriting life insurance policies for individuals with diabetes, insurers consider several factors. These include the following:
- Age: Age is a critical factor in determining life insurance premiums. The older an individual is, the higher their premiums will be, as they are more likely to pass away.
- A1C: Insurers consider an individual’s A1C when underwriting life insurance policies. Individuals with a higher A1C may face higher premiums or be denied coverage.
- Adherence to Treatment: Insurers may consider an individual’s adherence to their diabetes treatment regimen when underwriting life insurance policies. Individuals who are adhering to their treatment plan effectively may be more likely to obtain coverage at a lower premium.
- Other Health Issues: Insurers may also consider any other health issues an individual has, such as heart disease or high blood pressure. These conditions can increase an individual’s risk of death and may result in higher premiums or a declined application.
Tips for Finding the Right Life Insurance Policy:
If you are living with diabetes, there are several steps you can take to find the right life insurance policy. These include:
- Shop Around: It’s essential to compare life insurance policies from different insurers to find the best coverage and premiums.
- Consider Working with an Independent Broker: An independent broker can help you navigate the complex world of life insurance and find policies that meet your specific needs. They can also help you understand the underwriting process and provide guidance on how to improve your chances of obtaining coverage.
- Be Honest About Your Health: It’s crucial to be upfront and honest about your diabetes and any other health issues when applying for life insurance. Providing accurate information will help ensure that you receive an accurate quote and that your policy remains in force when you need it most.
- Consider a Guaranteed Issue Policy: If you have been declined for traditional life insurance due to your diabetes, a guaranteed issue policy may be an option. These policies do not require a medical exam or health questions, but they typically have lower coverage amounts and higher premiums.
- Work on Managing Your Symptoms: Taking steps to manage your diabetes effectively can improve your chances of obtaining life insurance at a lower premium. This may include adhering to your treatment plan, working with your healthcare provider to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and managing any other health conditions you may have.
Obtaining life insurance with diabetes may seem challenging, but it’s not impossible. By understanding how diabetes affects life insurance and what factors insurers consider when underwriting policies, you can take steps to improve your chances of obtaining coverage. Shopping around, working with an independent broker, being honest about your health, considering a guaranteed issue policy, and managing your symptoms are all important strategies for finding the right life insurance policy. By taking these steps, you can have peace of mind knowing that your loved ones will be protected if the unexpected happens. While living with diabetes may come with its challenges, it’s important to remember that it doesn’t have to define your life or limit your options for securing the financial future of your loved ones.